Like all cancers, detecting oral cancer early greatly improves the likelihood of successful treatment and remission. However, oral cancer can sometimes be difficult to identify because symptoms are similar to a common cold. So, how does oral cancer form and what are the warning signs? Let’s take a look:
Formation of Oral Cancer
Oral cancer can form on your lips, tongue, and throat. But, did you know that oral cancer can even form on your salivary glands and sinuses? Oral cancer is a serious condition that is more likely to occur following certain lifestyle habits. Using tobacco, drinking alcohol excessively, over-exposure to sun, and not eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables can all increase your chances of oral cancer. Furthermore, people over the age of 40 are more likely to develop oral cancer. Thus, it is vital to make healthy choices every day!
Signs and Symptoms
Being aware of oral cancer warning signs is the first step towards early detection. Signs and common symptoms include:
- A sore in your mouth or on your lips (could be from sun exposure) that persists for more than a couple of days/weeks
- There is a lump on the inside of your cheek or on your neck
- There are white/red patches on your gums or tongue
- It feels like a piece of food is constantly stuck in your throat
- It becomes difficult to chew/move your jaw, swallow or speak
- Your teeth are loose and constantly have foul breath
If you are experiencing any of the below symptoms, please call Premier Dental Associates right away at 212-597-0202. We will evaluate your dental health and talk to you regarding the next necessary steps.
To maintain your oral health, please brush/floss your teeth every day and maintain a healthy diet filled with plenty of fruits and veggies. Also, be sure to make an appointment with us twice a year for regular check-ups/cleanings! To book your next appointment, click here.