There are many things that can cause bone loss. In general, bone loss occurs by placing too much pressure on the jawbone, infections, or trauma to your mouth and face. Some of the main causes of bone loss are:
- Gum Disease: It sounds crazy, but actually bacteria from periodontal disease can gradually break down your jawbone overtime.
- Long-Term Denture Wear: Wearing dentures for a long period of time can place pressure on the ridge of your bone and create bone loss. In some extreme cases, dentures can actually cause the structure of your lower face to crumble and alter in appearance.
- Tooth Loss: When a person loses a tooth, the empty gap must be filled to avoid jawbone wear and deterioration.
Prevention and Procedures
Luckily there are several procedures that can help to prevent tooth bone loss. Because your teeth absorb the force of chewing when you, your bones will weaken if you lose a tooth and do not fill the gap.Dental implants will help restore strength and to take pressure off the bone.
- Pocket Reduction & Tooth Removal: We ensure that your gums are properly set on your teeth. If your teeth are loose, removing and replacing them with implants is the best option.
- Bone Reshaping & Grafting: We will restore the shape and strength of the bone around your teeth and prevent another infection.
At Premier Dental Associates of Lower Manhattan, we want all of our patients to smile bright! Please visit make an appointment with us if you feel any tooth or gum discomfort. Our expert dentists will help you every step of the way.