Periodontics is the term used to refer to dentistry that involves the structures around the tooth, such as treating gum disease. The most common concern and earliest stage of gum disease is gingivitis, which presents as the swelling of gums from plaque build up.
Unfortunately, when gingivitis goes untreated it causes periodontitis. Periodontitis is recognized when the gums become inflamed with bacteria and form pockets. If no further care is taken, periodontitis will cause a person’s gum tissue and bones to deteriorate. This can ultimately result in tooth loss. Restoration services for these gum diseases include cosmetic and reconstruction procedures.
At Premier Dental Associates, we offer an array of services to help fight and cure gum diseases. Some of the periodontics treatments we offer are:
1. Dental Implants When periodontitis results in tooth loss, dental implants (also known as fillings) help maintain your mouth shape, keep you eating, and keep your smile beautiful.
2. Crown Lengthening This procedure removes excess gum tissue, revealing more of a tooth for an even smile and reduce the chances of inflammation surrounding the tooth.
3. Gum GraftingWhen your gum line retreats too far, we can use tissue from the roof of your mouth or other parts of the gum to help restore it. A higher gum line helps prevent bacteria building up in pockets surrounding the tooth.
4. Bone RestorationAfter tooth extraction, we perform a bone restoration to repair the area surrounding the tooth. We use tissue simulating proteins and grafts to rebuild the bone and help make you smile.
5. Osseous Surgery(Pocket Depth Reduction) Simply put, this surgery corrects a pocket caused by periodontitis, removing a gap between the gum and the tooth to prevent bacteria entering.
Regular checkups at Premier Dental Associates of Lower Manhattan will help restore your gums to health and prevent future periodontal issues. If you would like to learn more about our services and the treatments that we offer, please visit our websiteand use our chat feature or call us at 212-587-0202.